· podcast industry · 3 min read
What Happens When a Big Network Picks You?
Tim and Kyle explore the big podcast network paradox of how being picked could be both the best and worst thing to happen to your podcast.
- We talk about why there is a lot of chaotic movement going on between big podcast networks that some see as a podcasting bubble.
- Only we looked up the definition of “bubble” and disagree.
- We see a trend where when a big podcast network loses star players they start searching to supplement their content losses.
- We explore how the same behavior happens in all other media too: movie studios, TV networks, radio stations, and now podcasting!
- We discuss why networks constantly poach other companies’ star players with better deals and creative opportunities.
- We get into the risks involved with signing on to an unstable network and why you need to be wary of their actual motives and their demands on your content.
What did we learn?
- Big podcast networks are going to be constantly changing, buying new content, and trying to one-up each other.
- When these big podcast networks lose content creators, they will need to fill the void with something new — this could mean you and your show.
- Think of having a big podcast network interested in your contact like being called up in Major League Baseball.
- It’s exciting to have your creation called up from the podcasting “Minor Leagues” to the podcasting “Big Leagues”.
- Having a big podcast network pick your show for “The Big Show” could be the best thing that ever happened to you and your podcast.
- However, a big network could also put restrictions and creative limitations on your podcast.
- If you get the call, you need to be wary of the demands they will have on your content.
“Overnight success stories take a long time.”
― Steve Jobs
- Is the Podcasting Hosting Business Ready for a Shakeup?
- ‘Rollercoaster journey’: Aussie founder sells his podcast business to US company
- The Boom (or Bubble) of Podcasting?
- What Is A Bubble?
- Art19 gets $7.5 million in funding to build out its podcasting platform
Support the Show
Every episode is a work of passion that requires a lot of coffee! We research, read, record, mix, edit, and produce every episode ourselves.
We would greatly appreciate it if you could do two things for us:
- FEEDBACK: Send us a quick note of encouragement to us. This keeps us going when times get tough!
- VISIT: If you enjoy this podcast, please consider visiting our website at podwrecked.com!
Thank you for taking the time to listen. You are appreciated!
Tell Your Story
Podwrecked is an Oncetold Production. Tell your own story with Oncetold.