Ep.47 – Who Had Pandemic On Their Bingo Card?
Kyle and Tim become the oracles by reviewing their 2020 predictions and seeing how close they came to predicting the future of podcasting.
Episode at a Glance
- Tim and Kyle see 2020 as the year to be thankful for what you have
- Tim and Kyle go through their 2020 predictions and score their clairvoyance.
- Tim and Kyle thank you for listening!
Tim and Kyle’s Predictions for 2020
Play along at home — how do you think we did? Here are Tim and Kyle’s predictions for the podcast industry in 2020:
- #20 – Someone will pay us $100 in 2020!!! (Episode #29).
- #19 – The ear of podcast festivals/conferences has hit its critical mass. There will be less in 2020 (Episode #29).
- #18 – Podcasts get shorter to be more morning briefs vs long form – middle will shink and the shorts and longs will get shorter and longer (Episode #29).
- #17 – Fed and state government expand podcast usage internally to employees for engagement (Episode #29).
- #16 – Growth of networks to keep up with content by buying up small podcasters to add to their portfolio (Episode #29).
- #15 – There will be 1-million podcasts in Apple Podcasts by April 2020 (Episode #29).
- #14 – National Podcast Post Month (NaPodPoMo) will double in challenge participants in November 2020 (Episode #27).
- #13 – Kyle thinks that Dave will one day soon create a podcast devoted to his Crazy Morning Zoo Crew Binky and the Wiz (Episode #21).
- #12 – Tim thinks that small businesses will be looking to expand advertising into new markets. They want to see this podcasting thing work in their market. Big ones take the risk first… then the smaller ones will to the benefit of all podcasters (Episode #20).
- #11 – Kyle thinks the Content Wars are coming! As these big podcast networks lose their star talent they are going to start lurking around the smaller networks and either buy their network or start poaching their talent (Episode #20).
- #10 – Tim’s prediction is that Disney is going to push into kidcast podcasting behind a paywall by 2020 (Episode #16). #10.1 – Disney and Amazon form an unholy alliance!
- #9 – Kyle also predicts that Apple will start punishing podcasters this year (in the rankings) that have not released an episode in over 6-months (Episode #14). #9.1 – Apple will accept money to keep your podcast on the directory forever!
- #8 – Kyle predicts that Apple will institute a new policy that will change the way they rank podcasts in the Apple Podcasts (iTunes) Directory by 2020 (Episode #14). #8.1 – Tired of waiting for Google to do it, Samsung creates their own podcast app!
- #7 – More podcasters will discover that recording before their audience live is one of the primary ways to grow their podcast 10-fold in 2019 (Episode #12).
- #6 – Audio Drama podcasters will be the next to leverage Patreon as their alternative monetization stream but only if they master bonus content and fan service outreach (e.g. live shows, swag, and appearances) (Episode #11).
- #5 – We are going to see a lot more people do that one and done episode. But that’s ok because they are going to learn to appreciate what goes into producing a podcast and they will become sponsors of podcasters who they like (Episode #10). #5.1 – The next Anchor-like company will appear in 2020!
- #4 – We will make it to the 50 episodes this year and we will make another 50 next year (Episode #10).
- #3 – Google Podcasts will eventually be native to Android, will be on every phone, and become a “must have” app for podcast listeners within the next three (3) years (Episode #9).
- #2 – A podcaster will have media credentials big enough to ask the President of the United States a question in 2020 (Episode #8).
- #1 – More True Crime podcasters will form content networks to improve their credibility and audience sizes in 2020 (Episode #8).
Podwrecked Salvage (Dawg) Team
A Big Thank You to our Podwrecked Salvage Team (Guests and Patreon Subscribers) and Friends of the Show:
- Cliff from Glockaholics Anonymous
- Mathew from The Podcast Consultant
- Dave from The School of Podcasting
- Ross from LiveStream Universe
- Joe from Super Joe Pardo
- Terri from EventYak
Thank you! And if you would like to become a member of the Podwrecked Salvage Team (or Salvage Dawg Team) and help us make content for our show, please join our awesome Podwrecked Salvage Team Members today!
Dive into Bonus Episodes
If you want to hear what Tim and Kyle have dredged up from the bottom of the sea before anyone else, please consider becoming a $5 member of our Podwrecked Salvage Team over at Patreon!
Captains of Delphi
- Tim “POD-stradamus” Brien and Kyle “Yo-da-POD” Bondo keep making predictions!
Visit Our Lighthouses
- Email Us: podwrecked AT GMAIL DOT com
- All our Show Notes: podwrecked.com
- All our Episodes: podwrecked.libsyn.com
- Gagglepod – Until Every Story is Told!
- Virginia Podcasters Association (VAPODA) Free Monthly Meetup for learning how to podcast and network with other podcasters!