Salvaging Your Podcast with Dave Jackson
Ep.21 – Salvaging Your Podcast with Dave Jackson
Tim and Kyle talk with Hall-of-Fame Podcaster Dave Jackson (School of Podcasting) about strategies that can salvage your show when you put a bad podcast episode into the world.
Episode at a Glance:
- Strategies for surviving that “Big Oops” after you hit publish on an episode.
- What happens when you overwrite versus repost your fixed episode.
- Learn the tacit knowledge that only comes from a podcaster who has thousands of episodes and millions of minutes on the microphone.
Where to find Dave Jackson:
- School of Podcasting
- Power of Podcasting
- Podcast Rodeo Show
- Ask the Podcast Coach
- Binky and the Wiz (Coming Some Day!)
What did we learn?
- There are a lot of ways to help you mitigate the damage of those mistakes.
- You CAN recover from a bad episode.
- Publishing an episode that did not include your voice.
- Publishing an episode that only plays one of two voices on the recording.
- Interviews – Didn’t hit record.
- Interviewee that fell asleep.
- Cut and Paste from an old episode and publish the wrong one.
- Don’t listen with the ears of a podcaster but with the ears of a listener.
- You can go overkill on recording gear.
- You can go overkill on the number of audio file version saves.
- Hoarding audio files for “just in case” is a real thing that all podcasters do.
- The bare minimum for podcasting gear should be enough for a new podcaster to “get by” — this means settling for a $60 microphone instead of going out and buying the AKG C-24 that was used in Pitch Perfect 3. (Pro Tip: The AKG C-24 is a collectors microphone for the low low price of $9K).
- Some gear is just weird (with 10-feet of cable) and we just have to live with it.
- Be carful when you name your podcast the same as a podwrecked podcast.
- Subscribe to your show with Apple Podcasts/Overcast (on iPhone), and Pocket Casts/Castbox (on Android) to know when your episode goes live.
- Google Play Music is NOT Google Podcasts – they are two separate things!
- Not many people will want you to remove content from an interview (or remove a snippet).
- Always ask in an interview “Is there anything in this interview you don’t want out in the world?”
- A single episode marked “Explicit” will drop you out of a lot of other countries unless you’re not interested in having an audience in those countries.
- When it comes to audio obsessions, remember that some folks in your audience are listening in the shower.
Questions to ask yourself if you Podwreck:
- How long has the episode been out to the world?
- How many people already have this episode?
- Do I want everyone to get the corrected episode?
- Do I care enough to put a re-post in my feed?
- How long do you want to wait for Apple Podcasts to update from my change?
- Did anyone even notice there was a problem?
- “Please subscribe to your own podcast!”
- “Remember, the Internet writes in ink!”
- “Nobody cares how the sausage is made. Just bring me content!”
- “As podcasters, there is a big chunk of our hearts that wants to serve [our audience].”
- “Please do not start your show off with an apology. Do it at the end where your super fans are!”
Elegant Solutions Notes:
- If you don’t care about Spotify and Google Play Music, you can repost with the exact named file.
- Everyone who already downloaded it now as the “collectors edition” of that episode.
- You can repost the audio file with the same name and just not worry about those who already have it.
- You can post a NEW audio file and not worry about your subscribers getting a second version of the first file.
- Apple Podcasts will show the new post but not remove the old one because it is only a mirror to your own feed.
- It may take up to 24-hours to show any changes in the Apple Listing because it is only a snapshot of what is going on with your podcast in 24-hours (not minute-by-minute).
- Apple Podcasts may never remove the listing of the first listing of your changed episode.
- Kyle thinks that Dave will one day soon create a podcast devoted to his Crazy Morning Zoo Crew Binky and the Wiz! This is a group of characters Dave introduced on episode #400 of the School of Podcasting and then resurfaced again on SOP episode #600. If you want to hear a special promo Dave did exclusively for Podwrecked, please listen to the very end of the episode! And PLEASE contact Dave Jackson and tell him you want this in the world!
- Read our growing list of podcast industry predictions for 2020!
Visit our Sponsors!
- Learn a new career at Germanna Community College Workforce in Fredericksburg, VA
- Gagglepod – Life’s too short for Bad Podcasts
- Virginia Podcasters Association (VAPODA) Meetups provide free podcast education every month!
- TODO: Way-Back Music
- TODO: Prediction Music
Visit the Podwrecked Lighthouse:
- Email Us: podwrecked AT GMAIL DOT com
- All our Show Notes: podwrecked.com
- All our Episodes: podwrecked.libsyn.com