Ep.10 – Overnight Success and Other Podcasting Myths
Tim and Kyle take a deep dive into new data that exposes the overnight podcasting hit myth and reinforces the truth that podcasting requires hard work.
Episode at a Glance:
- Tim and Kyle experiment recording the podcast from a local coffee shop and discover that people like to ask questions when you put microphones on the table.
- We dig into the data within Dan Misener’s article that supports why the podcasting long game strategy is STILL TRUE!
- We explore what behaviors are causing so many podflashes, podfades, and podwrecks.
What did we learn?
- There is no such thing as an overnight podcasting hit.
- Shows that have big audiences tend to do “these things” and how “these things” are all about common sense.
- Podcasters that do not stick with podcasting for at least 2-years do not have hit shows.
- Producing at least 100 episodes is the milestone to becoming a podcaster – you haven’t even begun podcasting until you hit episode 100 (for one podcast or multiple).
- All the things that are hard in podcasting are still hard, but if you overcome them you have a good chance of gaining an audience.
- We will make it to the 50 episodes this year and we will make another 50 next year.
- We are going to see a lot more people do that one and done episode. But that’s ok because they are going to learn to appreciate what goes into producing a podcast and they will become sponsors of podcasters who they like.
- “An overnight success is ten years in the making.”
― Tom Clancy, Dead or Alive
Reach out to Podwrecked:
- Email Us: podwrecked AT GMAIL DOT com
- All our Show Notes: podwrecked.com
- All our Episodes: podwrecked.libsyn.com