LIVE Podcasting! What could go wrong?
Ep.26 – LIVE Podcasting! What could go wrong?
Tim and Kyle record a LIVE episode at the VAPODA October Meetup to show attendees how you can record a live podcast with only portable recording gear.
Episode at a Glance:
- Recorded Live at the Howell Branch Library in Fredericksburg during the Virginia Podcasters Association (VAPODA.org) Meetup.
- Tim and Kyle have been experimenting with how to produce a live show
- Nate and Preston attended our October 2019 Meetup to see how the secret sauce is made
- We recorded this BEFORE DC Podfest (dcpodfest.com) where Kyle is attended for the 4th year and Tim for the 3rd Year!
- We spent an hour setting up our gear
- We think that coil rolling of audio cables is a lost art
- We go through what gear we use to take our podcast “LIVE”
What did we learn?
- Live includes a lot of improv and you have to be good on your feet (or mouth)
- Location can cause problems with sound (e.g. echo, room size, power, lighting)
- Sound proofing on-the-fly can work but it does not completely remove microphone bleed.
- Are microphones where air-gapped and the audio files used the double-header technique where we each record our own audio file and they are synced together in post-production.
- Kyle is using the ZOOM H4N Pro and an Audio-Technia ATR2100 microphone.
- Tim is using the ZOOM H5 (just to be bigger) and a Samson Q2U microphone.
- Headphones help you hear your sound and hitting record on a portable recorder can make or break your live recording.
Podwrecked is an extension of:
- Gagglepod – It is Time You Were Heard!
- Virginia Podcasters Association (VAPODA) Monthly Meetup for learning how to podcast and network with other podcasters!
- TODO: Way-Back Music
- TODO: Prediction Music
Visit the Podwrecked Lighthouse:
- Email Us: podwrecked AT GMAIL DOT com
- All our Show Notes: podwrecked.com
- All our Episodes: podwrecked.libsyn.com