I’ll Take Podcasting for $100, Tim!
Ep.14 – I’ll Take Podcasting for $100, Tim!
Tim and Kyle discover which podcast categories have the most shows and analyze why that is and what it might mean to how you categorize your own podcast.
Episode at a Glance:
- Tim and Kyle talk about the top three categories that have the most shows.
- This leads to talking about why some categories are at the bottom of the list.
- We then move into talking about the podcasts that produce the most episodes.
- We finish off the show by talking about why your primary category is a factor in podcast discovery.
What did we learn?
- The number one category in Apple Podcasts iTunes Directory is Religion and Spirituality: Christianity.
- Choose a category that your audience will think your podcast is in, not the category you think works best for you.
- The categories with the most podcasts are also producing the most content per show.
- The categories at the bottom may not be crowded because there is not much demand for their content. However, they may also represent opportunities to dominate an underserved niche.
- Many of the categories that have both the most podcasts and the most episodes per show are producing daily podcasts.
- Just because a podcast category is crowded doesn’t mean they are good shows nor does it mean they are all current shows either.
- Your category helps your audience find you, but it is your content that keeps them listening regardless of how many shows there are.
- These are the most crowded categories in Apple Podcasts
- Apple Podcasts Categories
- Podcasters, have you looked at your secondary categories lately?
- iTunes podcast categories | What are they & are they important?
- Kyle predicts that Apple will institute a new policy that will change the way they rank podcasts in the Apple Podcasts (iTunes) Directory by 2020.
- Kyle also predicts that Apple will start punishing podcasters this year (in the rankings) that have not released an episode in over 6-months.
- Read more of our growing list of podcast industry predictions for 2020!
- “You may say, ‘Well, dragons don’t exist.’ It’s, like, yes they do – the category ‘predator’ and the category ‘dragon’ are the same category. It absolutely exists. It’s a superordinate category. It exists absolutely more than anything else. In fact, it really exists.”
― Jordan Peterson
- “Categories are rarely permanent, and most important work is done by people who don’t easily fit in.”
― Seth Godin
Signal to Podwrecked:
- Email Us: podwrecked AT GMAIL DOT com
- All our Show Notes: podwrecked.com
- All our Episodes: podwrecked.libsyn.com