Dude, Where’s My Audience?
Ep.25 – Dude, Where’s My Audience?
Tim and Kyle review recent listener data and how it should motivate you to double-down on content research designed to build your audience.
Episode at a Glance:
- U.S. podcast audiences have grown to 62 million listening weekly.
- For the first time, more than half (51 percent) of the U.S. population has listened to a podcast, up from 44 percent last year.
- 144 million people, or 20 million more people than just a year ago, have listened to a podcast.
- With all these people now listening, what are you doing to make sure they are listening to YOU?
What did we learn?
- Finding your Ideal Listener – When you figure out your topic, it leads you to online sources. Online sources lead you to people interested in that topic. These people? They are your potential future listeners.
- Define Your Ideal Listener – Refine your ideal audience thinking down to some specific details.
- Find Your Flock – Where there are two or more people interested in something, you can find something built around it (e.g. books, magazines, blogs, websites)
- Sort Your Flocks – When you find a flock, evaluate each flock by lurking with a purpose and learning up-to-the-minute dialog about your flocks.
- Expanding the Search- Choose active or recent discussions, statements, articles, or posts that best represent a point of view about your topic.
- Qualifying your Sources – Content Walking – Active issues, complaints, controversies, problems, and interesting points of view you find.
- Bird Watching with Purpose – Once you start reviewing, searching, collecting and visiting these flocks, my hope is that you will continue to revisit them over and over again until it becomes a habit.
- Go Do the Work – At one point you have to just take what you have and start podcasting so that you can learn what your audience likes and doesn’t like.
- Marketing Land: U.S. podcast audiences keep growing, 62 million listening weekly
- Convince & Convert: The 14 Critical Podcast Statistics of 2019
- Top 7 Strategies: How to grow your podcast audience
Podwrecked is an extension of:
- Gagglepod – Life’s too short for Bad Podcasts
- Virginia Podcasters Association (VAPODA) Monthly Meetup for learning how to podcast and network with other podcasters!
- TODO: Way-Back Music
- TODO: Prediction Music
Visit the Podwrecked Lighthouse:
- Email Us: podwrecked AT GMAIL DOT com
- All our Show Notes: podwrecked.com
- All our Episodes: podwrecked.libsyn.com