Ep.22 – Cake on the MAPCON Beach
Tim and Kyle are back to talk about their MAPCON (Mid-Atlantic Podcast Conference; now rebranded Independent Podcast Conference) experience and the 10 things they learned while having their podcasting cake on the beach in Atlantic City.
Episode at a Glance:
- Tim and Kyle’s Top 10 MAPCON 2019 Takeaways.
- Where have Tim and Kyle been for the past few weeks?
- Podwrecked has a new tagline: Survive Your Podcast!
MAPCON 2019 Top 10 Takeaways
- #1 – Tim: Clear/Clarity – An aspects of podcasting you need to be clear (Intro/Outro, Show notes, Purpose, Why)
- #2 – Kyle: The Future is Local and you need to double down on your niche – Meetups, Localized Content, Live Recording, Weekly FB Hangouts
- #3 – Tim: Utilize tech to the fullest (Instagram, FB Live, Audiograms, LinkedIn)
- #4 – Kyle: Goal Setting – Your podcast needs focus, discernment, and prioritization
- #5 – Tim: Strong Branding (Audio brand, Intro/Outro, Music, Scripting FB Live, IGTV)
- #6 – Kyle: Monetization requires that you have a small business connected to your podcast (email list, a product, and consistency)
- #7 – Tim: Live, Live, LIVE! Don’t be a podcast elitist — use live streaming, Youtube, Periscope, Twitch, FB Live, IGTV and go LOOOOOOONG with your “VALUE BOMBS”
- #8 – Kyle: Verbal Branding and Sonic Branding is a thing you should be thinking about before someone takes yours (Smart Speakers)
- #9 – Tim: Conferences/Conventions are expensive. Plan according and decide which ones have what you need.
- #10 – Kyle: Don’t be a podcast elitist and only create content for your podcast. Have you ever thought of turning your podcast into a book?
Questions to ask yourself if you Podwreck:
- How long has the episode been out to the world?
- How many people already have this episode?
- Do I want everyone to get the corrected episode?
- Do I care enough to put a re-post in my feed?
- How long do you want to wait for Apple Podcasts to update from my change?
- Did anyone even notice there was a problem?
- “Don’t Suck” – Niel J. Guilarte
- “Not Everyone Listens to Podcasts” – Ross Brand
- “You need to create a niche. And if someone had already beaten you there?
- Create a sub-niche!” – Dr. Tyson Franklin
- “Sometimes you are not your target market.” – Jeffery Bradbury
- “Make a podcast that YOU want to listen to.” – David Steele
- “Oh! And by the way, check out my podcast!” – Niel J. Guilarte
- “Podcasting is a delivery system.” – Mathew Passy
- “When I hit play, START THE PODCAST!” – Mathew Passy
- “Don’t Stop. Keep Going.” – Nick G.
- “Not only podcasters but expert listeners.” – Karen Yankovich
- “The future is local.” – Samantha (Sam) Riley
Podwrecked is an extension of:
- Gagglepod – Life’s too short for Bad Podcasts
- Virginia Podcasters Association (VAPODA) Monthly Meetup for learning how to podcast and network with other podcasters!
- TODO: Way-Back Music
- TODO: Prediction Music
Visit the Podwrecked Lighthouse:
- Email Us: podwrecked AT GMAIL DOT com
- All our Show Notes: podwrecked.com
- All our Episodes: podwrecked.libsyn.com