Ep.16 – Ain’t Nobody Got Time for Podcasts Under 12
Tim and Kyle introduce you to Kidcasts and how producing podcasts for children between 6-12 might be the opportunity you’re overlooking.
Episode at a Glance:
- Tim and Kyle explore the Kidcast podcasting landscape for a growing audience of younger listeners.
- We touch on marketing to children and why it’s a sensitive topic with regards to Kidcast monetization.
- We end by talking about the potential for podcasts being a good source for child education.
What did we learn?
- Both Kyle and Tim agree that there are not enough Kidscasts.
- Kyle talks about how Kidcasts are still a Blue Ocean when it comes to your podcast production strategy.
- We find out how many Kidcasts are educational and well-produced to keep children engaged.
- Kyle raves about Gimlet’s Story Pirates and why that show’s format and marketing strategy is something to pay attention to.
- The myth that kids have short attention spans when it comes to kidcasts is just that — a myth.
- Sponsors can monetize a kidcast podcast, but it needs to be monitored by both producers and parents.
- Disney Kidcasts have yet to gain traction but could become a strong competitor in the children podcasting space over the next year.
- Tim points out that your first two (2) listens will be the parents. If it’s good? Your next 100 listens will be super loyal kids!
- Kyle and Tim both think that Kidcasts could be one of the genres that is a natural fit for podcasting paywalls (which is something that Disney is already considering).
- Tim sees Disney as the high-quality mark in Kidcasts.
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) Kidcasts make up the majority of the market for children podcasting right now.
- There are 1.6-million home-schooled students that could benefit from fitting remote teaching into their lesson plans by leveraging STEM Kidcast podcasts.
- We touch briefly on where smart speakers fit into the Kidcast podcast equation.
- Where Are All the Kidcasts?
- As Marketers Target Younger Consumers, Ethical Issues Arise
- 3 Fundamentals of Ethically Marketing to Kids
- The Podcasts That Will Make Your Kids Smarter
- Read our growing list of podcast industry predictions for 2020!
- Tim’s prediction is that Disney is going to push into kidcast podcasting behind a paywall by 2020.
- “A podcast aimed at 3-10-year-olds that parents could actually tolerate—if you could do it right—would be an unbelievable hit.”
― Matt Lieber, Gimlet
Other Podwrecked Episode Mentions:
- Ep.6 – Does Your Teacher Have a Podcast? Tim and Kyle talk about the influence that podcasts can and will have on the classroom and why teachers need to embrace educational podcasts.
- TODO: Way-Back Music
- TODO: Prediction Music
Kidcasts Mentioned in this Episode:
- Kid Friendly Disney Fun Facts Podcast
- Kid Friendly Joke Of The Day
- The Alien Adventures of Finn Caspian
- Story Pirates
Signal to Podwrecked:
- Email Us: podwrecked AT GMAIL DOT com
- All our Show Notes: podwrecked.com
- All our Episodes: podwrecked.libsyn.com